Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weeknight Meal Ideas

Sometimes, I have to come up with culinary creations based on what is left in my fridge and have to be prepared before they go bad. Sometimes they turn out to be great, other times they can be an utter disaster. Below are two different meals I threw together last week.

Mixed Salad


  • Mix arugula leaves, carrot chips, cherry tomatoes, english cucumbers, and apple slices in a big bowl
  • toss with walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, and cracked pepper. walnut oil has so much more flavor than olive oil, and makes me feel like less balsamic is needed.

Kale in Tomato Sauce with Over Easy Eggs

I made this on a night where I didn't feel like having and meat but still wanted to get some protein
  • Chop a white onion and cook in a pot till translucent.
  • Add kale with the stems removed and wilt
  • Add a jar of your favorite tomato sauce
  • Add spices of your choice, I used a clove of fresh chopped garlic, aleppo pepper, garam masala (1tsp)
  • Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, you are really just looking for the kale to be soft and the flavors to have time to develop.
  • In a separate pan, cook two eggs per person over easy and serve on top of your kale.
Enjoy!

A few other random comments...
  1. BIG congrats to everyone who competed in War of the WODs today! It was so exciting to see everyone from RNCF who competed and gave their all! You all inspire me to push myself harder! Everyone drink lots of water tonight. :)
  2. The Lululemon warehouse sale violated my wallet and taught me that people will do strange and crazy things (waking up at 6am on a Saturday) for some deals on Luon pants and Scuba hoodies.
  3. I am embarrassed of my ugly plates in the food photos. They were given to me by my mother who got them as a wedding gift over 25 years ago. Every time I look at them I think of the Partridge Family for some reason. I can't wait to get new ones someday. I will not buy them now because I have no money for that nonsense (see #2).
Nighty night lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment