Monday, January 23, 2012

"Tented" Salmon and Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Of all the sea creatures I eat, salmon is by far my favorite. It took me a while to nail down a good method to cook this yummy fish, but I finally got it right after my mom shared her  "tented" method. This has become my go-to way to prepare fish because it is so easy, and I think the "tent" keeps your entire place from smelling like fish.

Preheat oven to 350

Start with a good piece of Sammy and season with whatever you like. I used a Salmon Tea Rub spice mix. It sounds like a spa treatment, so I hope my sammy enjoyed it while he was baking.
Now you make your tent. Line a baking dish with tinfoil, with the foil going well beyond all sides.
Put Sammy in his tent and wrap up the sides. Be careful that there are no holes for air to get in on the top or sides. This allows the salmon to bake and steam at the same time and keeps if from drying out.
Bake. Check at 25 minutes. If it needs to go a little longer, take it out and close the tent up. It will continue to steam for a few minutes. (cooking time varies by size, this is for 1.32 lbs)

Here's my plate:


The brussel sprouts couldn't be easier. I use this method for most of my veggies.
  • wash, cut the ends off and cut the brussel sprouts in half
  • toss the brussel sprouts in your favorite oil (i used walnut oil)
  • season to your liking. I used an Arabic spice blend that has black and white pepper, allspice, mace, cinnamon, cloves, celery seed, and bay leaves
  • roast on 350 for 30-ish minutes. i put these on the bottom rack of the oven before and during the time the salmon is also cooking.
Enjoy!

Also, please feel free to give me feedback! I haven't quite figured out how I am going to format this, how frequently I will post, etc. Let me know what you want to see RNCFitters!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment